Tuesday, January 12, 2010

BP3_2010011_DiscoveringWeb2.0Tools

The Web 2.0 tool that I discovered this week is an online graphing calculator. I have used other graphing calculators before but this one is the best by far. The online graphing calculators I used before limited me to one graph and four graphs. This new one that I just discovered does way more graphs on one screen. Check out what I did below with six equations, x+5;-x+5;|x|;-|x|;x-5;-x-5. How many squares do you see?

"http://www.e-tutor.com/et2/graphing"

This was built with two types of algebraic equations: linear and absolute values. Of course it can gets more complicated if I used trigonometry functions but I will not go there.

After playing with this tool for an hour, I thought of a lesson I can do with this tool. In a couple of weeks, after taking finals, my Algebra AB students will be moving into graphing. I want to graph multiple linear equations for my students and ask them to find relationships between equations and their graphs. I will be very specific as to what equations I chose, because if I do random equations there, is no way my students will figure out the relationships. Hopefully, my students can figure out how slopes (raise over run) are related and how intercepts are related. I have a hard time getting my low performing students to understand the relationship each unique equation have with their graph. So, hopefully, my new approach (more visual approach) this year will help them make the connection. As an extension project, I will provide an assignment that requires my students to make their own special design out of linear graphs and absolute value graphs. I know my students will come up with many crazy designs and while they are manipulating their designs, I know they will develop a deeper understanding of linear equations.

1 comment:

  1. I want to know how your students respond and if the results are different than normal. It is great that you found something you can use after having a hard time in the beginning. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete