Monday, January 18, 2010

BP5_2010012_Web2.0Tool2(Random Name Picker)

The tool that I chose to learn and do a review on is a Random Name Picker tool found on classtools.net. This is a great tool for picking students to answer questions during class to check for understanding. When I do lessons in class, sometimes I feel as if I am talking to myself because the class seems so unengaged. Sometimes I cannot tell if what I am teaching is getting across to my students. When I am instructing I want to make sure that my students are thinking about what I am saying. Sometimes, when I pose a question to the class only a few students would answer. I am sure many educators have the same problem. So, by incorporating this tool into my classroom, I boost the level of anxiety and get my students to actively participate.




Here is how I use my tool. In math, we do plenty of modeling. Then, there comes a point when we do guided practice and the students get a chance to do their own problem. At that point, I use my Random Name Picker tool to call on a random student. But, before I call on a student, I use the method of Think-Pair-Share before I call on somebody. This will give the struggling students a chance to have something to say if they are clueless about the problem. After Think-Pair-Share, every student should have something written down before being randomly picked by the program. So, this is one way I use the Random Name Picker tool to increase active participation in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Very Cool, 2Win!! I make a concerted effort to make eye contact/call on each student in each class, but this tool would certainly put a fun new twist on that! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete